Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Saturday Adventure

What a busy Saturday this has been!
Our normal Saturdays consist of laundry and a trip to target. However, this one was much, much more!
This morning I got a call from my mom saying that it was the 23rd anniversary of she, my dad, and I being sealed in the temple. My mom and my dad wanted to do something special, but since everyone seems to be low on funds these days, had no ideas on what they should go do. This is when I sprung into action!
I first cooked us a lunch of Chili's Enchilada Soup (minus the chicken) that I got from someone earlier this week on facebook. It turned out to be pretty good....unless they were all lying to me and they really thought it sucked. I sure hope that wasn't the case.
After that, we all piled in the Jeep and headed to downtown Dallas to the Historic Bishop Arts District. Here we stopped by The Soda Gallery and browsed their HUGE selection of classic, hard to find, and foreign soda pop.
We weren't quite sure how it all worked since I had only read a small snippet about the store when browsing through a copy of Southern Living, but the owner happened to be there and was very, very helpful and nice.
On top of sodas, the store also carried comic books, classic candy, and other neat collector items.
Here is Mom and Dad posing with their soda finds.

And here are Matt and I with ours! In my hand I am holding a bottle of Almdudler, the national drink of Austria. The owner had just gotten a shipment of it in and did not plan on putting it out. Since I knew what it was and asked for it, he went into the back and unpacked 2 special bottles for us! I was really touched and excited. We will definitely be making The Soda Gallery a regular stop on our weekend errand runs for now on.
After shopping around a few of the cool artsy clothing and antique stores we were ready to continue our journey....but not until we popped open our sodas for the ride!
Here is Dad with his special root beer that the owner recommended.
And Matt with his...
And me with my Frosty Blue Cream Soda that I always drank as a kid! I was sooooo excited!
Next stop: The Farmer's Market!
Here we had samples of delicious fresh fruits and veggies and bought a few things to make a yummy Sunday brunch!
Here is Dad with some massive squash and zucchini, Mom with her bag of cherries, and Matt with his bag of big strawberries!
And me and Matt with my yummy orange bell pepper I got for only 50 cents!
Our Anniversary outing with Mom and Dad did not exceed them $10.00 and I think they had a lot of fun. I know we sure did!
Thanks Mom and Dad for indulging my 1st attempt at a double date and a costless one at that; especially on your anniversary! You are good sports!
After Mom and Dad left and Matt and I did our typical Saturday errand of grocery shopping (BTW, I used circulars for the first time this weekend and scored 6 grapefruit for $1.00 and 4 pints of cherry tomatoes for just $5.00 at Sprouts ! Go Me!!!) and all those other little stops; We decided it was high time to break into our special sodas!
This was our 6 pack carrier.
First we needed a pizza, so we stopped by Angelo and Vito's Pizzeria.
With this we drank our Almdudlers just like we did in Berlin last year. It was delicious.
Next came our after dinner soda.
Remember Crystal Clear Pepsi? I know it was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. Well, we found a crystal clear cola and it surely did not disappoint.
Sure it has the symbol of the Third Reich upon it and it is called Not Seekola (Say it out loud..."Nazi Cola"), but it was freaking good!Although soon after drinking it my arm kelp flying up at its own free will and I felt really angry. I don't know what that was all about...but I am DEFINITELY getting this soda again!
Finally we drank out last soda and it was a sad, sad moment.
This one was called, Blenheim Ginger Ale. The owner recommended this one to us soon after we had stunned him by asking for Almdudler. He said that it was the strongest Ginger Ale he's ever tasted and it was sure to burn all the way down.
He was right.
We won't be getting this one again.
And thus concluded our Saturday Adventures!
I am so exhausted that I know I'll sleep well tonight!

3 comments:

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

Sounds like a super fun day. I never knew about the Soda Gallery... dang it! I guess next time I come to Dallas to visit, I'll have to go there.

The Ketchup Queen said...

Ok, several things....first, happy anniversary, 2nd, i want that recipe, 3rd, your mom is so cute in the picture with her cherries, 4, i want to go to the soda gallery, 5, I need to see your apartment it looks so cute 6, your now going to be the planner of my dates, and fun days!

Yah, you should be a date planner! That is your calling you find the neatest things to do. you need to market your skill!

Oh and last....I miss and love you!

Momma said...

I had fun too, baby. It is amazing how much fun you can have a not do much of anything. I think we should make the Farmer's Market a regular stop. You are great kids!